Evergreen Magazine 
Articles written in 1921 by students of Cootes Store Schoolhouse, Rockingham County, Virginia

Cootes Store
The Landscape
The Way It Was
The School
Hunting & Fishing
First Graders
The Students
Cootes Home
Cootes & Co.
Family Bible 1
Family Bible 2
Flood of 1936
Cootes Store 1999
Chimney Rock 1999
Gap Rock 1999
Samuel Cootes
Cootes Deeds (1821 to 1881)
1885 Map




Aldon Funkhouser, 14

One fine snowy day a few years ago some of my friends and I went up on the mountain to hunt. We took a two horse wagon and loaded on some food and bed clothes. We took some guns and plenty of shells.

It was about seven o’clock when we started and it was eleven when we arrived up there.

We ate our dinner and set out for the creek to kill some trout. It was the distance of one half mile. When we reached the creek we found that there were some large trout in the creek. We shot about fifteen of them and prepared for the night. The fish were fried for supper and were fine.

The next morning after breakfast we set out for a bear chase. We had not gone more than a half a mile when the dogs started a bear. The dogs ran him till about three o’clock. One of my friends and I crossed a high point of land that we headed the bear off. We had scarcely reached the other side when the dogs brought him in forty yards of us. We both shot but did not kill him but injured him badly. He went about out of sight and climbed a tree. We traveled with all force to get there. When we reached the tree where he was I shot him and started for the camp. We went a little ways and met our other friends. They had a fox that was very beautiful. We got to the camp about five o’clock.

Some hunters run a bear in a den close to our camp the day before. That evening I set a large trap to catch him if he came out. Then I went back to the camp to eat supper. After supper we all sat around the fire and talked over our hunt. It was ten o’clock when we went to bed. We got up early the next morning to look at my trap. I took my rifle with me and one of my other friends went with me too. The bear got his front foot in the trap and crawled under a rock that we had some time getting him out. We killed him and carried him to the wagon.

That morning we decided to go home. We got home all right and enjoyed our trip very much.