Dyer P. Neff 16
Turleytown or Turley as it is commonly called, was founded in the
latter part of the seventeenth century by a man named Turley, hence the name.
It is located on the Little North Mountain road, leading from
Winchester to Dayton and Bridgewater.
Turley kept store, hotel and postoffice for a number of years prior
to 1833. He was succeeded by Samuel L. Cootes, who later in order to catch the traffic
which had drifted towards the valley pike, moved to the present site now occupied by his
grandson E. A. Cootes and his great grandson D. F. Cootes.
Turleytown first consisted of some half dozen dwellings, carding
machine, and flouring mill, blacksmith shop and Presbyterian church. It now consists of
about the same number of dwellings, a flouring mill and Baptist church.
We have been told that near Turley was the birth place of Thomas
Lincoln the father of Abraham Lincoln. We can not vouch for the truth of this statement.
We do know that his ancestors were from this county.
Before the Civil war the militia gathered here to muster.
These old inland villages are fast becoming a part of the past. They
only exist now in the memory of the old people, and after while in the little magazines of