THE REFORMED CHURCH
Marie Will 13
It is not often that a little village of about fifty inhabitants has
two churches. The names of those at Cootes Store are the Baptist and Reformed.
The Reformed Church was built in 1897. It is a frame building on the
bank of the North Fork of the Shenandoah River, north of Cootes Store.
There have been five Reformed ministers who served this charge. P.
H. Horner was the first pastor. The present one is Mr. N. H. Gravel from Timberville. The
other three were Reverends Whitner Plot and Kiefer.
The membership number is forty-five. There is an active Union Sunday
School with an enrollment of ninety-six. This is the first winter that the Sunday School
has ever been an evergreen school. The United Brethren also preach here. Rev. J. R. Collis
from Broadway is the pastor.
The name of this church is Heidelberg. It is in the Timberville
charge. Rev. P. H. Horner built the church. It has a large yard and is near the road.
There is a beautiful view of the Gap from the church.